November 16, 2015

Iowa's greatest musicians

Who are Iowa's greatest musicians of all time?

For starters, I can come up with eight at this point.

In no particular order, they include Meredith Wilson, Glenn Miller, Karl King, Leon "Bix"Beiderbecke, the Everly Brothers, Simon Estes and Andy Williams.

I must confess, this blogger was born in Clarinda in southwest Iowa - the town that claims Miller as its own and even has an annual festival and museum named after him. In fact, Miller's boyhood home in Clarinda was on the same block as my maternal grandparents' house. So I spent lots of time passing Miller's house on my way to the Clarinda square when I visited my grandparents.

Last year, I attended my first Glenn Miller Festival and heard the official Glenn Miller Band for the first time.

If you can think of any other musicians to add to the list, let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment